Thursday 21 July 2011

Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Unlike Iverson, I believe training and preparation can make any task incredibly more enjoyable. I've winged things more than enough to know that it can be enjoyable as well... but there is no substitute for hard work. You can't do on race day what you never did in practice. Luckily, we've been training for the trip.

Getting ready to sweat: Thanks to the recent heat wave, lack of air conditioning, incredibly poor circulation in our apartments, and the need to do moderately heavy labour (packing up apartment), my sweat glands have been firing away. All in preparation for the uncomfortably hot temperatures and 24/7 glow we will be sporting. I think we are ready to go.

Workout in the heat: There have been a few runs (which undoubtedly transformed into run-walks) that I have hallucinated on due to loss of hydration. I've made it back safely each time. Bring on the foreign streets and temperatures of Europe; the inner compass and determination is ready.

Be able to drink with the locals: In honour of Janelle's birthday several casual (read superfluous) birthday drinks were consumed Tuesday night. The livers are good to go and live up to our Canadian name. We've also been practicing drinking from boots. Beerfest here we come!
Recover the next day: The perfect remedy to help the liver and body recover: Gatorade. Water. Tylenol. Coffee. Food. A touch of exercise, and Gelato. Life is good again.

Sleep in a stranger's bed: Sympathy from friends who fully understand the conditions outlined in the first bullet meant for an offer to sleep in an air conditioned apartment. I don't think I have ever slept better in my life. The key now will be to make sure our hostels have air conditioning. I have not trained for a sweaty sleep in a stranger's bed. I'll just have to wing it if needed.

Get ready for extended periods of seated travel: Sitting through a CPR and First Aid re-certification course has taught me that I really struggle to be still, and my bottom side can get quite sore sitting all day. The obvious remedy will be to bring sedatives on our transportation to keep calm. That, and we will need to kept productive. You will likely receive long blog posts during these unbearable journeys. Please enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. And of course on my last full day of work at The Waterford, the power is out and air conditioning not working. PERFECT for practice.....practice catching seniors due to heat stroke!

    ReplyDelete